Telepsychiatry within a correctional setting provides timely psychiatric care and evaluation while reducing transportation and supervision costs.
CFG Health Systems works with our partner organization, InSight Telepsychiatry, to design and implement customized telepsychiatry programs to support the specific needs of our correctional partners.
Center for Family Guidance, PC has been a pioneer of telebehavioral health in New Jersey since 1999. Founder and Medical Director Dr. Jim Varrell provided the nation’s first commitment via telepsychiatry and has since been one of the nation’s top advocates for the appropriate use of telepsychiatry to increase access to care. Shortly thereafter, InSight Telepsychiatry was founded in 2008 after providing services for over a decade as a component of Center for Family Guidance, PC and its partner companies CFG Health Systems, LLC and CFG Health Network.
Today, InSight, the largest telepsychiatry service provider organization, has moved on to a new partnership with new financial investors- Harbour Point Capital. InSight and the CFG Health Systems, LLC will continue to work together to offer onsite and telehealth services to partners in correctional settings
What Services Does InSight Provide?
InSight’s behavioral health providers can bring care into any setting, including corrections, on an on-demand or scheduled basis.
With on-demand telepsychiatry services in a correctional setting, facilities have rapid, 24-hour access to psychiatric treatment. Telepsychiatry allows facilities to be prepared for psychiatric crisis and address issues onsite in a secure and familiar environment.
With scheduled telepsychiatry services in a correctional setting, appropriate medication management and routine care reduce the potential of escalation and psychiatric emergencies. Telepsychiatry represents access to corrections-specific psychiatric providers who are sensitive to the nuances of treating offenders while maintaining adherence to a strict formulary.
Our services include:
- Access to psychiatric providers at any time
- Electronic consultation form
- Ongoing IT support
- Suicide risk assessment
- Diversion programs
- Initial psych evaluations
- Medication management
- Substance abuse services
- Treatment team meetings
- Supervision/medical leadership
- Pre-parole evaluations
- Phone consultations
How Can Telepsychiatry Benefit My Organization?
- Telepsychiatry reduces transportation and supervision costs by providing timely psychiatric care and evaluation.
- Telepsychiatry represents access to corrections-specific psychiatrists who are sensitive to the nuances of treating offenders while maintaining adherence to a strict formulary.
- Proper pharmacology can ultimately reduce the number of inmates on medication while cutting the amount spent on pharmaceuticals for those who truly need it.
- With emergency telepsychiatry, correctional facilities can have 24-hour coverage and access to psychiatric treatment within an hour.